Thursday, May 3, 2012

YOUNGBERG HOSPITAL


I used to visit Youngberg Hospital in Singapore with my father. It was during 1966 and I was about nine then and had a throat infection. It was a small hospital. The building was two storeyed. It was run by the seventh day Adventists. The doctors were American. It was a good hospital and also expensive.

At the reception, I noticed the blades of the ceiling fans would tilt at an angle while rotating to cover a wider area. Since then, I have never seen a ceiling fan like that. There was a fish tank and I would watch a group of neon tetras moving together. On the table were some magazines published by the seventh day Adventists.

The first doctor we met was Dr. Coffin. I thought it was a strange name. He advised surgery to have my tonsils removed. By the time we decided to have the surgery, Dr. Paterson was in charge. He asked me whether I liked hot or cold drinks. I said hot. I think he expected me to say cold so that he could tell me that I will be having only cold drinks after the operation. I was admitted to a ward with about ten beds in the evening. It was on the second floor. I had to wear a pyjama provided by the hospital. That night I had an apple pie and jelly for dinner which was again provided by the hospital. There was a small recreation room nearby with a TV and some games.

Early next morning, I was asked to be ready for surgery. A man asked me if I had eaten anything in the morning. I said no. He then gave me a new set of pyjamas and told me to wear it. While putting it on, I noticed a label with my name stitched on it.



I was wheeled to the operation theatre on a stretcher. There was a lift even though the building was only two storeyed. In the operation theatre I looked at the lights above and the anesthetist attached some things to my chest. He looked like an Indian. He asked me if I was afraid. I said no. He then held a mask on my face and told me to take a deep breath. I did as told. He said ‘once more’ and I began to see some patterns and fell asleep. After the operation I regained consciousness for second and turned over noticing some people looking at me. I woke up again while I was being taken back to the ward. My father was following behind. He was waiting outside the operation theatre.

Each bed was provided with a push button switch to call the duty nurse who would respond promptly. Indicator lights at the counter told the nurses which bed had called. I called them often to ask for ice which I needed to relieve the pain in my throat. That day I had only cold jelly for food. My father asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted some comics. I was crazy about the super hero comics like superman, batman, spiderman, fantastic four etc. My father bought me two comics which I did not find interesting since it was not about any super hero. He also bought a packet of chocolates which I could not eat then.

There was an old Chinese man on a nearby bed. He had his food in liquid form given through a funnel placed in a tube attached to his stomach. He could not eat normally. A nurse would draw a curtain around him to give him a bath. A young couple visited him every evening and spent a long time with him. It was his son and his girlfriend.

Looking through the window I saw a long black limousine with the US flag coming to the hospital. It must be from the US embassy. At night a teenage chinese boy with his arm in a sling went around closing the windows in the ward. He must have fractured his arm. He was also a patient in this ward.

Dr.Paterson met me the next morning and looked at my throat. He decided to discharge me. I needed ice for a few days. My friend and classmate Mohandas would bring me the ice.



6 comments:

  1. Hi you are provided Best services of hospital is very useful for patients as well im wishing the all the success like Operation Theater beds

    Visit : http://www.psblinternational.com/operation-theatre-lights.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi you are provided Best services of hospital is very helpful for all patients as well im wishing the all the success like Operation Theater Lights

    Visit : http://www.psblinternational.com/operation-theatre-lights.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad that this iconic building was demolished in Feb.2018. I was there in the early 70's when my father had a nose operation there.
    When the excavation of earth was carried out, a bomb shelter was discovered underground. This was eventually demolished and removed.
    Another surprise was during piling works, one of the pile hit another structural slab which was 10 metre underground. It looks like the American could be using this underground structures in the olden days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi yew kheong,
      thank you for the comment and the information about the excavation.very interesting.
      regards
      george

      Delete
  4. Your childhood visit to Youngberg Hospital in Singapore brings back vivid memories. From the unique ceiling fans to the tranquil fish tank, the hospital's charm leaves a lasting impression. Despite the impending tonsil surgery, the warm care provided by Dr. Coffin and Dr. Paterson stands out. Your recollection highlights how healthcare has evolved since then, with advancements like ultrasound machine revolutionizing medical diagnosis and treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victor
      Thank you for the comment
      Regards
      George

      Delete