Wednesday, February 22, 2017

HOMEWORK

I don’t remember getting any homework when I was a student at school. A geography teacher once gave us some work to do at home but he did not refer to it as homework. He said it was an assignment. The only other ‘homework’ I did was for Technical Drawing. It was actually class work but since the drawings took a lot of time to complete we could not finish it in class and had to continue with it at home. After returning home from school I would usually have some snacks and then I would be watching Television. Weekends were spent playing games. I studied at home only a few days before an examination.
Later on, when I spent many years in the teaching profession I never gave any homework to the students. I felt that all students do not have the same interests. I preferred that students spent more time on subjects that interests them instead of forcing them to spend time on subjects that do not interest them.
I have seen other teachers give homework to students. For young children homework usually becomes extra work for parents who end up helping their children. I think homework should not be allowed for children below ten years of age. I have seen some older students who do not do their own homework. Such students usually copy the homework done by other students.

4 comments:

  1. I can remember having homework at Senior School from the age of 11 years.
    I know my children also had homework from the age of 7 years.
    Now the grandchildren have homework from the age of 4 years.

    Yes, it does mean that the children and parents have to be organised and willing to take the time to do it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you jan. it does seem like very young children are given homework these days.

      Delete
  2. while i think its good to teach kids the discipline of doing schoolwork (concentrating, reading, writing, etc.) i agree it should not take over a child's home life until they are older...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you b.c. yes schoolwork should not take over a child's home life.

      Delete